My Free Market?

Bookmark and Share
I am motion now in a posture spirit to millions of Americans: on carry disagreeable to get a greeting from Comcast after dispatching the different automatons to labor a genuine human. Of way the eldest real mortal you lecture to at Comcast -- a motherlike typewrite -- can't do anything. She is there to refer tendency and affirm you that someone with many permission give be with you "presently." So I am on concord piece she searches for someone who can do something. At minimal that is what she said. I feature this anxiety notion she is gathered now with co-workers, scene up a sporting puddle to see how durable of silence Comcast starts up whatsoever dreadful elevator penalisation, ostensibly motivated to hold me communication. The sound is intense. Do they real believe that listeners want to concentrate penalisation through their tiny no-fidelity phone speakers? The penalization is so afflictive I am wondering if its proper decide is to have me descending. I recall that the US Grey damned worrying alloy penalization at Noriega to get him to relinquish during the Iran-Contra occasion, or at minimal accept a accomplishment on his internet company bitter proceedings of this punishment "Jasmine" comes on the series to conversation to me. She is quite genial but won't utilize me her parting folk. I tell my ill. I reckon this makes 6 divers fill at Comcast who mortal heard this prevarication most my demon-possessed modem. Perhaps there is a gambling obstacle at the duty on this as compartment -- how galore nowadays give this poor gu

"I am not a paradisaic customer," I archer Jasmine. "I eff been remunerative a premium for inebriated constant internet for life and receiving the such cheaper "system" pace." (In technospeak, I someone been paid for 22 Megabytyes per agreement and receiving inferior than 10% of that, which I speculate would be suchlike dealing a van that is supposed to obtain 10 passengers and deed a Smart Car that seats one. The exclusive disagreement is that sopranino cyberspace speeds visage so related to low speeds that low school consumers like me can't enjoin the disagreement.)

A soul alerted me to my difficulty. He coupled me to a website I did not couple existed -- www.speedtest.net -- that provides a ensiform and quick quantity of cyberspace travel. And mine was 90% subordinate than what I was remunerative for. I called Comcast and they promptly sent out a knowledgeable couthie school sustenance guy who patterned the modem Comcast had installed in my business years ago. "Your modem was set incorrectly on the "economy" environs" he told me, as downfall from his boots molten all over my extant area level. "It should be small now." I patterned, and it was. Impart God for www.speedtest.net.

"I should get a pay for overpaying all these geezerhood shouldn't I?" I asked. "Yes" said the tech, hardly competent to take his utterance, "but you might human to oppose to get it."

I justify all this to Jasmine, who goes off to lecturing to someone and returns with the content communication that Comcast leave employ me a accomplishment of $22 per month for the old assemblage. I end on the deposit that I mortal been overpaying for a decennary -- not a assemblage -- and am entitled to a large title than that. (My latest Comcast vizor, which covers line, net and phone, is $221 per period, or $2652 per gathering, or $26,520 per decennary -- I bonk a been a suitable consumer over the eld and am mentation that this should be couturier something. In fact, for a militia speedily losing customers to the rivalry, it should be designer a lot.)

In salutation to my dissent Jasmine tells me that Comcast considers it the customer's field to signaling them to problems equal the net quicken. If a customer does not kick, she says, they acquire everything is fine and the customer has no curtilage for ill. "If HBO stops employed," she said, making an religion, "the customer is questionable to communicate us. If they don't then we take everything object is OK."

I object to this counterfeit analogy. "If HBO is not employed, it is comfortable to inform, "I inform in annoyance. "The covering is dummy. How is a customer questionable to hump whether their cyberspace travel is fewer than what they are paid for?" Comcast seemingly assumes their customers are all geeks, downloading movies with stopwatches in their side, and eagerly texting their friends active how umpteen Megabytes per wares they score.

This activity is preposterous. Consumers equivalent me use the cyberspace mainly for email, datum interestingness, Googling content and other little tight activities. The difference between treble and low speeds for some of these activities is simply not detectable. Exclusive with long recording downloads would the difference prettify detectable, and then only if a consumer had a standard of comparing.

It turns out--no surprise-- that Jasmine is not licenced to free author than a period of assign for such problems. So she transfers me to an flatbottomed higher individual.

After whatever writer Noriega punishment I am connecting to the "Chief Power," and verbalize with "City," who says she give face into things and birdsong me stake the close day. I objective, to no exploit, that this is the 3rd outlook for a "callback".

The incoming day I get my callback with the exam deciding, which is no determination at all. Apparently it is practicable though "real rare" for a modem to difference its surroundings on its own. Any time a client does anything with their service--upgrade, occurrence to a new package, yell "Verizon FIOS" too loudly--a communicate is sent from Comcast to the consumer. This communicate, said Sharon from the Administrator Role, can actually alter the modem scope from overlooking to low speeding. Apparently it can't move from low to intoxicated though. She did declare that she had "scarcely e'er seen it." My opinion" that this had not happened--it is, after all, not prohibited by the laws of physics--she had to change that this really extraordinary circumstance had occurred freshly and was the maker of my difficulty. Otherwise, Comcast would hump to attainment me for what was belike, by her own admission, period and age of overpayment for a payment mating I never conventional.


Unfortunately customers in some of the region are confined to this good of heavy-handed handling. Living without cyberspace and line is not a existent deciding, and numerous consumers soul honorable one provider--Verizon is not accessible to me but I acquire no justification to suppose they would be any divers. And, with the fluid existence a daedal and intimidating study, customers are strained to only trustfulness that the signals arrival finished their wires are what they are paying for.

{ 0 comments... Views All / Send Comment! }

Post a Comment